“And she gave birth to her firstborn son, and she wrapped Him in cloths, and laid Him in a manger because there was no room for them in the place where travelers lodged.” Luke 2:7
This passage from the gospel of Luke strikes me to the core. With Christmas just days away as I blog this, I cannot help but realize how 60 million babies can relate to baby Jesus. Thankfully, the Blessed Mother, Mary gave her full yes to the gift of life.
Sadly, our society has shown away pregnant moms, many of whom are single or unwed, by offering abortion or not proper services. Instead, we replace it with a dog or cat. Do not get me wrong I love the sight and adore dogs from puppy to adult. I see many of them every day when I am out and about. At the same time, I am more likely to adore a mom, dad, or even together showing their newborn baby or two their surroundings whenever they go out to shop, eat, or explore the amazing attractions that await them.
What Luke can tell us from this account is that we must be willing to have room for one more child in our lives, whether it’s an orphan, the immigrant, or consider renewing your vows, and even supporting a mother in need.
- Contact your local pregnancy center and ask if there is a family in need of clothes, diapers, and even baby food.
- Donate any old clothes in good condition to a homeless shelter.
- Help a mother who is struggling by inviting them to your Christmas festivities.
- Send a card to a pregnancy resource center in thanking them for all they do to help pregnant mothers choose life.
- Offer a rosary and or Chaplet of Divine Mercy for mothers scourged by abortion.