We encourage everyone to join in the Rally & Protest of Representative Brian Fitzpatrick’s vote on the Equality Act Friday, March 26th at 11:00 am. Please see the information from Mike McMonagle below. Post also includes a flyer from Mike and a link to Code of Conduct for Friday’s Rally.
Rep. Fitzpatrick has compiled a mostly pro-life voting record on abortion-related legislation. Thus, his continued support for the EA reflects poorly on the pro-life position and indicates that our response to his 2019 vote for the EA was quite inadequate.
The supporters of the Culture of Death will relentlessly continue their efforts to pass the EA, just as they did for legalizing child killing until birth and same-sex marriage. Sad to say, but I believe that the leaders of the Culture of Death understand Scripture and recognize (and thus seek to destroy) God’s image more than most participants in the pro-life movement.
Human life is sacred because human beings are created in God’s image. The male-female difference (and, thus, the conjugal relationship between husband and wife) reflects that image.
“In God’s image, He created them. Male and female, He created them.” Genesis 1:27
The awful reality is that our “pro-life” Congressman’s vote to change federal law to eliminate any recognition of the male-female difference (and punish those who still recognize that difference) should outrage all of us and motivate us to respond zealously, faithfully and effectively to Rep. Fitzpatrick’s vote for the EA.
- Attend a Protest and Rally at Rep. Fitzpatrick’s District Office on Friday, March 26, 2021 from 11:00 AM to 12:00 noon at Route 413 and Langhorne-Newtown Road in Langhorne.
Ample parking is available at this location in the nearby Summit Square Shopping Center.
The purpose of this Event is to educate and motivate other pro-life citizens on this issue by generating public square debate and coverage of this issue and possibly schedule future such protests at his Office and Events that he attends.
Attached is a promotional flyer for this Event (see below) We will also be providing signs that I propose to prepare for this and future Fitzpatrick protests. You are welcome to bring your own sign.
2. Please circulate the attached flyer among family, friends and your Parish or Church members that urges them to contact Rep. Fitzpatrick on this issue.
3.Please make your own phone call soon and send your own letter or email to Rep. Fitzpatrick on this issue. His contact information is:
Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick, 271 CHOB, Washington, DC 20515 Phone: 202-225-4276 – fitzpatrick.house.gov
Prospects for the Equality Act
The U.S. Senate is currently not likely to pass the EA (despite the current unanimous support for all 50 Democrat Senators) because its passage is likely to remain subject to the 60-vote filibuster rule. There are currently much less than ten Republican Senators who would support the EA. While Pa.’s U.S. Senator Pat Toomey did not take a public position on the EA during the 2019-2020 term, his Legislative Assistant recently informed me that he is very likely to oppose the EA and support a filibuster against it.
The Harms of the Equality Act
The EA amends current federal civil rights laws to also prohibit discrimination based on “sexual orientation,” and “gender identity,” as well as re-defining “sex.” The harms of such a law include the following:
- It ends all restrictions on federal funding for abortions, which have saved millions of children and expectant mothers from abortion.
- This expansion of abortion occurs because the EA re-defines “sex” to include “pregnancy, childbirth or a related medical condition.” The EA also states that “pregnancy, childbirth or a related medical condition shall not receive less favorable treatment than other physical conditions.” Some prior court decisions and pro-abortion government officials have established that a “related medical condition” includes abortion.
- This legislation rests in the falsehood that certain sexual behaviors or orientations and/or “identities” must be treated as immutable, such as race or sex, and sex must be treated by “gender identity” rather than biological reality.
- This legislation provides no protections for the civil and religious liberties of Americans who reject these falsehoods. For example, this legislation enables parents, who object to “gender transition surgery” or harmful medications for their child, to lose custody of their minor children. This legislation also authorizes school officials to be punished who wish to protect the privacy of girls in bathrooms and locker rooms, as well as female athletic competitors from boys who “identify” as girls.
- This legislation devastates health care professionals and institutions that seek to operate on pro-life principles. For example, this legislation authorizes individuals and/or government officials to punish Catholic hospitals and/or health care professionals who decline to commit abortions or “gender transition surgeries.”
Because of these harms, all national, state, and local pro-life organizations, as well as Catholic advocacy and medical professional organizations, opposed this legislation. For example, in addition to our organization and our Bucks County affiliate, the other organizations that oppose this legislation include the following:
- Pro-Life Federation
- National Right-to-Life Committee
- Susan B. Anthony List
- Family Research Council
- National Catholic Medical Association & its Philadelphia area affiliates
- Catholic Conference
- S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB)
The USCCB provided a cogent summary of the vast harms of the EA.
“[T]he Equality Act would impose sweeping new norms that negatively impact the unborn, health care, charitable services, schools, personal privacy, athletics, free speech, religious liberties, and parental rights. The Act’s unsound definitions of ‘sex’ and ‘gender identity’ would erase women’s distinct, hard-won recognition in federal laws. Its sex-based nondiscrimination terms would end women’s shelters and many single-sex schools. It would close faith-based foster care and adoption agencies that honor children’s rights to a mother and father. The bill would even act as an abortion mandate.”